Vanilla Cured Salmon
- Trim the salmon and remove the pin bones. Place the salmon on several large sheets of cling wrap.
- Combine the vodka or sake, sugar, salt, vanilla bean seeds and lemon zest and rub the mixture into the salmon flesh.
- Cover the salmon with the cling wrap and place it in a shallow ceramic or glass dish. Place another flat ceramic or glass dish on top of the salmon and weight the top dish with several heavy cans.
- Refrigerate it for 2 days. Once the salmon is cured it will be firm and an intense dark pink.
- Wash off the cure mixture and pat the salmon dry with paper towels.
- Slice into paper-thin slices against the salmon’s natural grain to serve.